I've been going through a big life change recently caused by successful sigil magic. It's been good but busy, and it's kept put me behind on my next sigil paining (oh the irony).
In terms of the recent change, I can say this: In sigil creation it is imperative that you pick the exact right words for what you want. This is an important aspect of what Gordon at Rune Soup calls magical target selection (he has a bunch of posts on the topic which I recommend reading).
A few months ago, the company that I worked for was in the midst of some major changes. I really loved this position: the firm, my work, the boss, my coworkers -- I was very happy there. At the same time (and for the first time in my life) I am in a personal place where stability and security are the MOST IMPORTANT things for me. So the uncertainty cased by the changes were causing me some concern.
Change and chaos are features of the world we live in, not bugs. So to desire something so out of step with the very things you have to embrace to create magical change... well, it seemed like a fool's errand. Still, I wanted to draw some secure stable energy to my situation, so on the day that they formally announced the change, I created a sigil for security and tucked it into a box of my business cards.
Not long after I got a call -- out of the blue -- about a job that was a perfect fit for me in terms of experience. It was also a job that would challenge me and push me: high profile clients, international travel, strategic planning. And, above all, a position at a division within the company that's rock solid. I was conflicted, but my gut and the cards confirmed that this was the right thing to do.
My current job was the best I'd ever had and I really had no intention of even looking for different work. After all, it was stability that I was after. But then I remembered that it wasn't stability I created a sigil for -- it was security.
It seems that in order to gain the security I'd enchanted for, I'd need to abandon stability. I'd need to take the leap of faith and leave something that was really good for something that was unknown. So in thinking I wanted more stability, I actually got less. But I ended up with the security I'd asked for. The new position turned out to definitely be the right choice for me, so I'd say it was an example of unconscious target selection.
It's also excellent evidence for my hypothesis that chaos and change are required elements for magic. That stasis is unsustainable and unrealistic as a magical goal.
No comments:
Post a Comment